Here’s a reminder of where we started- the before!
When we left off, the contractors had finished framing and installing our new gas fireplace. We wanted to tackle the finish work ourselves, but before we could make it pretty, we had some behind the scenes work to do.
I knew I wanted a chunky reclaimed wood mantle, and the hubby of course wanted the largest TV he could fit hung above that, so we needed to engineer the framing to make sure it could hold the weight of both.
He used scrap wood blocks to provide additional structure to hang those from, and also brought forward the electrical outlet to plug in the TV. Since we knew we wanted the TV components to sit in the bookshelves rather than on the mantle, he created this little tube to house the cable lines for the TV.
I’m not sure of the technical terms, but they’re a PVC type pipe and elbows that will lead to an outlet type box inside the bookshelves. Haha-told ya, sooo not technical!
Truthfully, even though we measured where we wanted the TV hung, we didn’t look at the mounting system we bought until a bit later, and realized we would have to move the outlet and box over to accommodate the brackets. Oops! Luckily it was a minor setback and we discovered it before we had covered anything up.
For the mantle, he installed huge lag bolts to hold it in place.