Week 7 and 8 ended up being pretty productive after getting off to a slow start.
We’ve gone back and forth on the fireplace built-ins and wether or not we wanted to install them before flooring or after. Ultimately, we decided to run the flooring underneath, but I still had this nagging voice telling me to figure out our exact fit before I placed our order for kitchen cabinets.
Good thing I did, because we ran into our first big snag. But first, let’s back up.
We knew when we installed the corner pieces of stone, we would have to cut them to allows the cabinets to fit. We rigged up a plastic booth and outfitted ourselves with masks and googles to avoid getting concrete dust EVERYWHERE. It actually worked pretty well!
As much as we try to put plenty of forethought and planning into our DIYs, sometimes you just can’t think of everything, and when we set our cabinets into the stone, we needed some additional spacing to ensure the doors could open easily.
We used a 1×3 trim piece and secured it to the cabinet.
This felt like the best solution to keeping the cabinet functional, only it created a slight problem. On the side of the fireplace that the cabinets extend to the wall, adding an extra couple of inches in the form of a spacer meant that the cabinets wouldn’t fit in the space. I racked my brain trying to come up with a solution, but the only real way to solve the problem was to order a smaller cabinet. So, we now have an extra cabinet we can’t use, had to pay for an additional custom cabinet to be made, and had to wait an extra 8 weeks for it to arrive. The silver lining is that we discovered it now, and we were able to add it on to our kitchen order and save several hundred dollars on shipping.
Week 7 was kind of a bummer, and we didn’t feel like we accomplished much, but we made up for it week 8.
I contacted a plumber who was certified to move gas as well and he was able to come back a few days later to install gas for our new stove, a line for a pot filler above it, and move the sink for the new island.
He needed a little prep work from us, so the rest of our cabinets got sent to the garage, and the drywall was opened up.
With each step, we’re getting more and more of a feel for the space and new wide open layout and we’re loving it. And we’re this close to the fun part of putting everything back together.
I’ll be back soon with another update and I’ll show you the plans for the kitchen!