Go to Week 1 to see how we kicked off demo last week!!
Here’s a reminder of where we started-
Week 2 continued by taking back the wall where the kitchen entrance used to be.
But we managed. We took the entire structure down, and will leave it open along the ceiling until our electrician comes back to run the light switch down the wall that remains. Every time someone opens the door it rains a teensy but of insulation 😂.
It made quick work of this area, and we also got the small patch of tile in the entryway removed. We are planning on taking the tile out of our small half bath as well, but wanted to leave it intact and functional as long as possible.
Of course it wouldn’t be a renovation without a few surprises, and this time it was in this little corner by the laundry room. When we pulled back the baseboard we found some mold. We hadn’t noticed any leaks in the time we’ve been here, but still it opened up a cascade of questions-was this a current leak? How extensive was it? How much mold is unsafe? When do we need to have an expert come in?
As soon as the tile was removed we could see the extent of the leak, which we assume came from the washer at some point before we moved in. There are not signs of a current leak, and luckily the subfloor seemed to be in good shape. We sprayed the wall down with a bleach solution, and ultimately decided to remove the small strip of drywall just to be on the safe side. This also allowed us to examine the back side of the drywall to make sure there wasn’t any more hiding behind. All clear, thank goodness!
So that’s the way that weekend went- more forward progress and I spent the rest of the week cleaning and preparing for the next step, which includes another big visual change I can’t wait to share!