I feel so cliché as a new blogger, explaining my absence from the blog world, but here I am. Maybe I bit off more than I could chew. Maybe this blogging deal is harder than it seems (it is!) Maybe I just got busy with life, and didn’t make time for my unpaid job in between working a paying job, getting kids ready to go back to school, end of summer vacations, and actually tackling the mounting projects and tasks that have been piling up. Oh, and did I mention we’re potty training?!
Whatever the excuse is, I’m back with renewed energy to start a new fun project I’ve been cooking up in my head for awhile now.
When I asked my hubby which room I should tackle next, his vote was for the laundry room. I wanted to do the teeny powder room that I could knock out in a few days (ok ok I’m sure it would be at least a few weeks), but he made an excellent argument that our laundry is such a highly used and highly visible space, it deserves a little love sooner rather than later. I’ll share some lovely befores that confirm the necessity of this project another day- but for now, lets talk details of the update.
- White Cabinets- a must to brighten a relatively small space. Since we are planning on renovating our kitchen sometime in the semi-near future (how’s that for a vague timeline?!), I’m planning on re-using the cabinets in the laundry (there currently are no uppers), and painting them white.
- The whole space needs to be lighter and brighter- it gets no natural light- and I think I have a can of BM Halo in my paint cabinet that I can use. Honestly, I picked the color because I have it and I’m cheap=)
- This light will replace my overhead cheap-o one. Can’t beat that price, and the reviews were decent.
- SHIPLAP!! Need I say more? I keep going back and forth between doing the whole room, or just the wall opposite the washer and dryer. Currently, that situation is winning, only time will tell!
- Is this sign not absolutely amazing??!! I can’t wait to get it here and stare at it every day! You can find one here.
- Hubs said it wouldn’t be difficult to add lighting over the sink, so in my search for the perfect fixture, I remembered I have one similar to this, that a can of spray paint can do wonders on. Free $.99.
- These shelves from World Market are the exact look I am going for- I may try to DIY, although the price on these is not bad either!
- With all the black and white in here, I want some natural wood touches to bring some warmth. There’s a faux butcher-block counter DIY that has been floating around Pinterest that I’m dying to try out.
- I’m on the hunt for a vintage door to be a statement piece. I ALMOST had the perfect one that was taken from my hubby’s Great-Grandmother’s gorgeous 1920 home, but it was too narrow. So the search continues. Remember, we do not have a lot of older homes in our community so our sources are limited unless we want to pay a fortune, or have it shipped. And if you know me at all, I am way too cheap for that! So this may be a someday item, not necessarily now. Patience, I keep telling myself!
So that’s it in a nutshell. I’m sure there will be some changes here and there, but for the most part, this is exactly what I’m envisioning. And remember, that I’m doing a lot of this work myself. Me, myself, and I. So progress will likely be painfully slow! Hopefully I haven’t bitten off more than I can chew- wish me luck!