I’ve had this project mostly done for a couple of months now, but in the spirit of finishing this room, it’s time to play catch-up. While I was brainstorming what I was going to do in this space, I knew that some tall board and batten was just what I wanted to make a big first impression of our home. Our entryway is relatively big (or at least feels that way compared to our last house), and the vault of the ceiling starts here. I love that we have a window next to our door, which also has a window in it, to let in tons of natural light. Other than that, the room was lacking.
You can see the drywall that still needs attention on the left. What started as a winter project was pushed to the back burner when spring and summer came- the lawn needed attention, we have weekends filled camping with friends, and we just plain don’t want to deal with it. DIY failures I tell you!! Good news, the drywaller dude will be here Saturday to rescue us! And I’m totally over it.
All that natural light I love is apparently a drywaller’s nightmare. The light bouncing off that wall will show the patch seams easily, so it sounds like the entire wall will be getting new coats of mud and texture to hide it.
Here’s another view of that same wall to help you figure out what’s where in the house. As much as I love this view (ha!), I’ll be looking forward to our house looking a bit more put together soon. But really, who am I kidding- as soon as that wraps up, I’ll just start another project in another room- or tear down that giant wall between the kitchen and living room=).
Back to the entryway.
When I decided on B&B, I turned to the almighty Pinterest to start gathering info. Spacing, height, tutorials, baseboards, corners. I really tried to have it all thought out before I dove in. There are a gazillion tutorials, so I’ll spare you some of that, and just share what worked for me.
I guess mine is not technically B&B, since I am not using anything over the drywall. I do have a pretty heavy texture, but it doesn’t bother me much. From everything I read, painting the wall under the battens first seemed to be the consensus. What I did learn however, was that I can’t stand paint with a sheen on my walls. I used the same can of trim paint on the walls, which had a satin finish, and I noticed it immediately. Even my kids asked why the walls were shiny. I knew that if they noticed, it was not something I was going to get over. My thinking was that since it is supposed to be an extension of the trim, it should all be the same sheen. Ultimately, I repainted the wall in flat and was much happier. Personal preference.
I used all pre-primed pine 1×4’s. I decided I liked these as I have been slowly replacing the trim around the house to a farmhouse style, and wanted to stay consistent. I wanted to use real wood, and they are not much more expensive than the unfinished, so it was highly worth it to me to save a step, and not have to deal with knots. I also trimmed out the front door and window while I was doing this, but that’s a story for another day=).
I started with the baseboard and top horizontal 1×4. I wanted it tall, with a more modern feel, and to highlight the ceiling height. The bottom of the top 1×4 sits at 65″ from the floor. I went to town with the nailer, hoping to hit a few studs along the way.
You can see the edge of the wall where I stopped was just before the rounded corner. Before I started, I played around with a few options, and liked the way that fit best.
Then I dry fit the vertical boards, trying to get a good snug fit with each, as well as test my spacing before I nailed them. I was trying to ensure that I didn’t have to work around outlets or light switches, so I started with guess and check math to get a rough idea of my spacing and how many vertical boards I would have, and then fine tuned in place.
Excuse my triple chins…whoa=). I used a 1×4 as my spacer to get the second horizontal row perfectly spaced. I nailed each vertical board and then horizontal board down the line to get nice snug seams. I spaced the vertical boards about 12″ apart, and the horizontal 12″ down.
I started and ended each run with a vertical 1×4 on the main wall. The door wall had a little more fudging to do, and I threw out the standard rules to go with what made the most sense, and would be the most aesthetically pleasing.
I capped the top of the board and batten with a 1×2, and then filled holes and seams, sanded and sanded and sanded some more, and caulked. 3 or 4 coats of paint later, and I never want to do it again! The finishing touches took soo much longer than actually installing the wall. It was painful, not gonna lie. I just get bored easily, so I quickly lose interest in a project with this level of detail. I’m really really not looking forward to finishing the other wall, but it will be worth it when it’s done.
Stay tuned for more progress-hoping to get one more space checked off the list very soon!