This was a doozy. It’s not that it was overly difficult. Or time consuming. Maybe it’s just that I’m a perfectionist and it didn’t turn out quite like I had hoped. I can’t really put my finger on why this project wasn’t my favorite. The scale of the chair? The fact that I don’t really need these chairs OR have a spot to put them?
I’m really selling you on making a slipcover, right?!
I have a feeling that I’ll recover from this and live to make another slipcover. Because I have a beast of a chair sitting in my living room right now that I can’t stand, yet I’m nowhere near ready to replace. Because I have another matching ugly chair sitting in my garage taunting me.
Because I’m being dramatic, and it really wasn’t that bad. I promise!
Here’s what I started with. Isn’t she lovely? Isn’t she won-der-ful? These bad boys just didn’t make the cut when my parents decided to build a house and order the entire Pottery Barn catalog to furnish it. So I knew I could save them. They have been sitting in their “formal living room”
getting a ton of daily use getting used twice a year for the last 30 years, so they are in pretty decent shape. I’m still not quite sure where they will find their home in my house, but that’s a whole nother story.
I’ll share the few pictures I took during the process, but I really relied on Miss Mustard Seed’s video tutorials to walk me through it. She is just such a pro- she makes everything seem so simple and easy, and does a great job of explaining every step. Take a few minutes to watch them through before you start, and then I kept referring back to them also during the process.
I found this fabric at Walmart for $1.50/yard. I bought all they had, which was just over 9 yards. I cut all the fabric for both chairs, but I think I will need another yard or 2. That still puts each slipcover at less than $10 each! I contemplated using dropcloths, but even that was a splurge compared to this fabric. My thought was that this was my trial run, but in hindsight, I may have been happier if I had just used dropcloth from the get go. The fabric I used was a polyester with a little stretch- it’s not terrible, but I think I prefer the texture of the canvas.
I didn’t use any sort of pattern, just used the chair, and cut a little extra to allow for seams. Since I have two identical chairs though, I would cut my piece and then trace a second one for the next slipcover I may or may not finish=).
My fabric didn’t really have a right or wrong side, but if yours does, you want to remember that you are working inside out, so pin right sides together. The front and back two pieces (that will tie together for a snug fit at the end) are the starting point. I pinned and stitched these pieces, with the homemade piping found in the tutorial also.
Not terrible, although I spy a few gathers that weren’t supposed to be there=).
And this is where I stopped taking pictures. I took a break from the project, and when I started back up, I was so focused on just getting it done I forgot to snap a few pics.
Basically, after this, you just continue working inside out, and pin the insides and outsides of the arms, the seat, and then the apron across the front. Each chair is a little different, mine doesn’t have a removable seat cushion as many do, so my slipcover is all one piece. And being my first slipcover, I pinned one side, stitched it, then moved on to the other, so it took me a little longer than if I had done both arms in one step. Last, I added a box pleat ruffle, that really makes the whole slipcover look a million times better.
And now thanks to the magic of the internet, and my poor blogging skills, I present to you the finished product! I need to trim a few threads and finish the ties in the back, so I guess it’s the mostly finished product=)
I’m debating trying a different method to jazz up the second chair. I think it will be a desk chair for our den, which I’m hoping I’ll like better, in real life it feels small here in my master bedroom. I’ll be sure to keep you posted with whatever I decide!