I wish wish wish I would have taken more pictures of the process. Just picture a lot of sanding and drywall dust on EVERYTHING and you’ll get the picture. One of the momentous occasions was when the door was installed so I could close it and pretend the mess wasn’t there. Here’s the view from the new doorway.
The closet was framed out and drywalled (sorry no pics) after researching how big it should be and what a standard size was. We had to go to my sister’s house and measure hers since we have no regular closets here! And the vaulted ceiling is on that side of the house so we decided against taking the closet all the way to the ceiling and just leaving it open above. Hubby pointed out that the space inside would be practically unusable for storage anyways, since the door frame would limit access, and I like that it keeps the room feeling spacious.
And you can see I painted and wallpapered an accent wall! We used the same paint color as in her previous room, Faint Coral by Sherwin Williams, color matched in Behr paint, and I was so excited to use this super feminine wallpaper from Anthropologie. I didn’t think there was any way hubby would go for it, but he suggested an accent wall, and when I showed him this, he gave it the go ahead! This was on my nursery inspiration Pinterest board from ages ago, and I can’t believe I get to look at it every day now! This is currently my favorite view in the house. (And I just realized how many exclamation points I used- I told you I was really excited!!)
I really want to find a picture of my room when I was about 8 because I had a very similar color scheme going on. I had a bedspread with a large pink and mint floral pattern and mint green walls. Clearly, my tastes haven’t changed much=).
Putting up the wallpaper was not as difficult as I thought, after a few stressful minutes. We started on the far left and cut a strip just longer than the length I needed. I was trying really hard to make 2 rolls of wallpaper work since it was not exactly cheap, but in the end I had to order one more. We used a spray bottle to wet the paper and then folded it over on itself to activate the adhesive. When we got it lined up and put it on the wall, it just kept coming right off- so nerve-wracking! I took a break and tried to look up other peoples experiences using this kind of wallpaper, and it seemed the consensus was to get it really wet. So we tried again, this time saturating the paper, still using the water bottle, and had much better luck. After we lined up the paper where we wanted it, we used a rubber scraper and a damp sponge to remove any bubbles and really secure the wallpaper to the wall.
On the edges and top and bottom, we decided it was easiest to leave an overhang and then come back and score it with a knife to remove the excess. We tried cutting it while it was still wet, but the paper just seemed to be ripping. When we cut off the excess, we just used a damp sponge to make sure the edges were nice and smooth to the wall. You can also see we have fairly heavily textured walls, so you can see it through the paper, but with all the pattern going on it doesn’t really bother me.
I took charge of the trim, and since I had been toying with the idea of replacing all the door trim throughout the house with a chunkier, farmhouse style trim, I used this as the perfect place to get started. When I asked hubby if he minded me ripping apart the house to do this project, he kind of stumbled on his words, trying not to offend me, but basically said that he just didn’t want my enthusiasm for the project to “fizzle out” before I finished all the doors. Challenge accepted my friend. He doesn’t know it, but I made it my personal goal to get them all done before he finishes the drywall on the outside of her room. I have a feeling I’m going to win=).